Back to series
FOCUS OF THE MONTH: TRUE MEANING OF THANKFULNESS
Learn more in our Dawn Treader Magazine
Thankfulness is a key part of our relationship with God. As our Creator, Savior, and Father, God gives all of us more blessings than we would ever have thought to ask Him for: “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for those who love Him” (1 Corinthians 2:9). So it is very important to discuss how we are to thank Him for it all. For week one, ask the first question below over an unhurried meal. Let the children think about it and then offer their own answers. The children should talk more than the parents. Throughout the week, offer the different reasons highlighted and let the children discuss them. (Parents, read through the relevant Bible passages in advance.) Challenge the children to look up other verses addressing the question. Do the same for the following questions each week for the month.
QUESTIONS TO HELP YOUR FAMILY GROW
What is thanksgiving all about?
Read: Leviticus 7:11- 15 and 22:29, Nehemiah 8:8-12 and 12:45- 16, Ephesians 5:20
- Discuss thanksgiving as “giving thanks”— what do we mean when we say “thank you”?
- Festivals for giving thanks to God are very important in the Bible and throughout the history of Christianity, including the modern-day Thanksgiving.
- Giving thanks is part of worshipping God.
- Every day can and should be a celebration of Thanksgiving.
How can we thank God?
Read: Psalms 50:14, 95:2, and 100, Luke 17:11-18
- By recognizing the good things God has given us.
- By using His resources and our God-given talents wisely.
- By obeying His commands.
- By trusting He will always do what is best for us, since we are thankful that. He has in the past.
- By remembering to say “thank you” in prayer.
Why has God given us so much to be thankful for?
Read: 2 Corinthians 3:14 and 4:15, 1 Timothy 4:4, Revelation 7:9-12
- Because He loves us.
- Because His Nature is overflowing with goodness and bountifulness, expressed in His marvelous works of creation.
- Because He wants to have a parent-child relationship with us; giving us everything we need as our Heavenly Father.
- Because as our Savior, He gives to us freely in order for us to receive His salvation and live with Him eternally.
How can we show thankfulness to others?
Read: 2 Corinthians 9:6-15, Philippians 2:28-30 and 4:10-17, Timothy 2:1-2
- By appreciating them and having good relationships with them.
- By helping them when they need help in their turn.
- By always having a happy, helpful, and considerate attitude, grateful for what we have rather than complaining about what we don’t.