Back to series
FOCUS OF THE MONTH: UNDERSTANDING THE GREAT COMMISSION
Learn more in our Dawn Treader Magazine
How does God want us to tell people about Him? Sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ, or the Great Commission, is a primary responsibility for all His followers; and parents are especially responsible for communicating this call to their children, and equipping them to carry it out. For week one, ask the first question over an unhurried meal. Let the children think about it and then offer their own answers. The children should talk more than the parents. Throughout the week, offer the different reasons highlighted and let the children discuss them. (Parents, read through the relevant Bible passages in advance.) Challenge the children to look up other verses addressing the question. Do the same for the following questions each week of the month.
QUESTIONS TO HELP YOUR FAMILY GROW
What is the Great Commission?
Read: Matthew 28:19-20
- Jesus’ last command to His disciples before He ascended into Heaven.
- Sending out all His disciples, including us, to share the Gospel.
- The Commission includes Jesus’ promise to be with us, “to the end of the world” (Matthew 28:20).
- Makes it clear that the Gospel is for everyone.
- Everybody needs to hear about Jesus; it’s our job to tell them.
Why did Jesus give us the Great Commission?
Read: John 14:12 and 15:26-27,Romans 10:13-17
- Jesus wants everybody to come to know Him and receive His Salvation
- Jesus wants us, His disciples, to share in His work, because we are part of His Kingdom, God’s children, and share in the eternal reward with Him
- We learn to love both Jesus and His people more as we share the Gospel with other people, fulfilling the two greatest commandments (Mark 12:29-31)
How can we follow the Great Commission?
Read: Acts 17:16-31, 1 Corinthians 2:1-5, Colossians 4:2-6, 1 Peter 3:14-16
- Pray for God’s guidance, that He will reveal His plans for how He wants us to be part of the work of His Kingdom.
- Pray for the people who don’t yet know Jesus.
- Show an example of how wonderful it is to follow Jesus in our lives.
- Be ready and willing to answer questions and tell people about Jesus when they ask us what it is that makes us so different—this means we have to read the Bible a lot!
How can we work with other disciples in carrying out the Great Commission?
Read: Romans 12:3-16, 1 Corinthians 12:4-14, 1 Timothy 2:1-6
- Not everyone has the same role to play, even though we all have the same purpose in sharing the Gospel of Christ.
- We can always give and show support to those who work as full-time missionaries, pastors, and evangelists—in that way, we are sharing in their work.
- Loving one another within the Church is a good way to get other people to want to join us! Of course, we must love the people outside as well—but the point is to get us all inside!