Back to series
FOCUS OF THE MONTH: WHAT IS GOD’S CREATION
Learn more in our Dawn Treader Magazine
The Bible tells us in Genesis that God created the world and made man in His own image, intending for us to “have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth” (Genesis 1:28). The Nicene Creed begins: “I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.” So understanding creation is of key importance in understanding our relationship with God. For week one, ask the first question below over an unhurried meal. Let the children think about it and then offer their own answers. The children should talk more than the parents. Throughout the week, offer the different reasons highlighted and let the children discuss them. (Parents, read through the relevant Bible passages in advance.) Challenge the children to look up other verses addressing the question. Do the same for the following questions each week for the month.
QUESTIONS TO HELP YOUR FAMILY GROW
How do we know God created the world?
Read: Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19:1
- The world is so complex that only a very wise Creator could have made it.
- The world is so beautiful and wonderful that only a very loving Father would have made it.
- The world is full of people who desire relationships and have spiritual desires, which can only result from our having been created by a relational Being Who “is a Spirit, and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.” (John 4:24)
- Creation is the only explanation of the world’s existence that is historically documented; nearly all ancient cultures have creation stories that are clearly based on the original Creation story recorded in Genesis.
What does the Creation tell us about God?
Read: Psalms 104, 135, and 139
- He is all-powerful; “All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made.” (John 1:3)
- He is very creative and imaginative: He can make real worlds with real people just as easily as we make up imaginary worlds with imaginary people in books and plays—God is the first and greatest Artist, so there is no point in making idols out of lesser human artists; they are only imitating their Maker, Who is the One Who really deserves all our worship!
- God loves us; He made the whole universe for us and He made us in order to love us and have us live forever in a relationship of love with Him.
Why did God put humanity in charge of taking care of the earth?
Read: Genesis 1:26-31, Psalm 8
- Because we are made in His image and so specially equipped for doing things His way.
- Because He wants us to learn to have the same sense of responsibility and love for His Creation that He has.
- Because like all good parents, God wants His children to learn to be creative and fulfill their full potential, by giving them the authority to make important decisions and take care of things themselves.
How can we be good stewards of God’s Creation?
Read: Proverbs 12: 10, Matthew 25:14-30, 1 Timothy 5:18
- By appreciating what He has given us.
- By wisely using the world’s resources, including ourselves and our God-given talents, for the good of everyone.
- By being kind to and appreciative of all other people, since God made all of them and loves them too.
- By taking care of our pets and other animals under our care.
- By remembering and telling others that every good thing comes from God.
- By rejoicing in the world’s beauty and praising God for it.